Varkala Beach is often familiar as Papanasam Beach. The waters of Varkala Beach are considered as holy and the people believe that a dip in the holy waters of this beach washes away all the sins in one’s life. Hence, the beach got the name as Papanasam Beach. This pristine beach is famous for its numerous towering cliffs that overlook the sea. There is a natural spring at the bottom of these cliffs which is believed to have medicinal properties.
The Varkala Beach is famous for housing the 200-year-old Janardana Swamy Temple which is an architectural splendour to admire. The Sivagiri Mutt that houses the samadhi of Sree Narayana Guru is another place of attraction near the Varkala Beach which flocked by thousands of devotees during the Sivagiri pilgrim season.
- Varkala Beach is also famous as Papanasam Beach.
- The cliffs that stand adjoining to the beach is the major highlight of the Varkala Beach.
- The ancient Janardhanaswamy Temple situated near the Varkala Beach is 2000-year-old. It is a spiritual hub, an architectural splendour as well as a prominent tourist attraction here.
- The samadhi of the famous religious reformer, Sree Narayana Guru, known as Sivagiri Mutt is a popular pilgrimage centre in Varkala.
- The Anjengo Fort which shows an amazing blend of the Portuguese and Dutch architecture is another highlight of Varkala Beach.
- There is a natural spring that is found at the bottom of the cliffs at the northern part of the Beach which is believed to have medicinal properties.
- Due to the presence of a radioactive substance called thorium oxide, some parts of the beach sand are black in color.
Things to Do:
- Ayurvedic Spa.
Way to Reach:
Trivandrum International Airport is the nearest airport to Varkala Beach which is situated at a distance of 51 Km. On arrival at the airport, you can either hire a cab or board a bus to reach Varkala Beach.
Varkala Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Varkala Beach which is situated at a distance of 3 Km. On arrival at the railway station, you can either hire a cab or autorickshaw or board a bus to reach Varkala Beach.
Many state transport buses and private buses easily run from major cities to Varkala.